Monday, April 13, 2009

The Answer To Life Found In The Movies?....

So this last week has been a weird one...first I finally write this blog about my "experiences", then I take the time to market and get the word out there...then people start reading and commenting. It has all been a little surreal, but very exhilarating. I've been waiting for this my whole life to get these ideas out and share. So to say the least I am a little scared, but also very relieved and happy.

OK, OK so I watched two movies this week an they both land on opposite ends of the spectrum, but the ironic part is they both helped me get through this week. On Saturday I watched the Academy Award Winning movie The Departed...great movie by Martin Scorsese...for those of you who don't know the movie it is about the Irish mob in South Boston and how the cops put a "plant" in mob and the mob put a "plant" in the cops. The movie stars Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Leonardo DiCaprio and the star of the movie Jack Nicholson. In the beginning montage Jack Nicholson is talking and setting up the movie and at one part he says, "I don't want to be a product of my enviroment. I want my enviroment to be a product of me." When I heard this I stopped and thought about it. Now my interpretation is a lot different than his, but I lived with this my whole life. I DID NOT WANT TO BE A PRODUCT OF MY ENVIROMENT. My enviroment was horrible and I was determined to break those chains. I lived with stereotypes and whispers behind my back, I was labeled the "abused kid" and I hated it. In my house I was referred to as ASSHOLE. That was my name (honestly that was my name). These instances were because of my enviroment and I was growing up to be a product of my enviroment. I didn't want that kind of life so I changed my life and I got rid of the name, I got rid of the moniker and I got rid of that enviroment. Now I want my enviroment to be a product of me. I try to look at each and everyday as a blessing. I try not to look at each day as is this day that I cease to exist. I try to bring joy and happiness to people around me. I try to look at the glass as half full instead of half empty. You know what my enviroment is now a product of ME and I like it like that. Thanks Martin and Jack.

The second movie I saw was Slumdog Millionaire. Great movie, tough to watch, but a good human story. It is about a love story about boy who grows up poor in the slums of India and tries to stay true to himself, his beliefs and reconnect with his true love. He goes on a game show and he is close to winning the million dollar prize, but they suspect him of being a cheat so they torture him and make him walk through every question they asked him on the show and through his life experiences he shows how he knows the answer. This kid suffered, but the one thing he was looking for, his true love, and his beliefs he stuck to. At the beginning of the movie -- they ask why and they give 4 answers (just like in the game show) and at the end the right of the movie they show the answer and the answer is D. -- Because it is WRITTEN. It was his destiny to go through these hardships and come out on the other side better than he was. Why Because it is written. Well, I have struggled with the Why question my whole life. I have struggled with what was I suppose to do with all of this. I have struggled with what now. Well at the end of that movie when that answer came up I said maybe, just maybe somewhere in the cosmic universe it was WRITTEN for me like this. Maybe all of that "stuff" lead me to where I am today because it was WRITTEN for me. Maybe what I was suppose to learn was just "I didn't want to be a product of my enviroment, but I wanted my enviroment to be a product of me." Wow was it that simple? I don't know, but what I do know after watching those two completely different movies I feel a whole lot better today.

TWTTIN

No comments:

Post a Comment